February 22, 2012

The "Pantry" Shrimp Tacos

SO why do I call these "The Pantry" Shrimp Tacos?  Because I literally found what we had in the pantry and threw these delicious tacos together!  These tacos are so EASY and fast to make, and definitely will satisfy!  Crispy, a little fried, and still healthy!

The Pantry Shrimp Tacos
**TIPS AND HINTS**

  • If you have sliced avocado or guacamole, it would make a great addition to this dish!
  • Corn tortillas are always ideal for tacos in my opinion.
  • You can add any veggies you would like to the salsa.  I substituted Papaya for mango because it was what we had, but it was very good and very similar to mango.
  • And recipes for fish taco sauce or shrimp taco sauce would be a great addition!!  
  • Rice and beans made a perfect addition to make this a full meal.
  • this recipe is not a "deep fry" and requires only a little oil, and small amount of batter to make the shrimp crispy and delicious.

Now... for the recipe!!

Ingredients 

Salsa

1/2 lime
Cilantro
1/2 Papaya or mango OR BOTH!!
1/2 small Red onion
1 large tomato

1 frozen bag of shrimp
1 1/2 cup of flower
1/4 teaspoon of cumin
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt  (I used 1/2 teaspoon of garlic instead of garlic powder and salt)
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
2 Tablespoons of oil (YES THATS IT!)
Corn or flour tortillas
sour cream
your choice of cheese

Now the directions are very easy!!!

First chop up the onion, tomato, cilantro, and papaya.  Mix together in a bowl, squeeze half a lime (or more!) over your salsa and mix together.

Originally I wanted to use Mango instead of papaya but papaya is what we had, and still tasted great!!  I would however add slices of avocado on the side if I had avocado available. 
While you chopping your veggies, IF you used frozen shrimp you can thaw on a very low setting on the stove, Just until the ice is melted.  Shrimp should not be cooked through.  If some cook however, that is fine!  Drain in a strainer, and place shrimp on a paper towel and lightly dry shrimp.

My shrimp after I thawed them.  As you can see some where cooked partially and some still raw.  This is OK.

Next heat your oil on medium heat, while oil is heating mix your flour, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and pepper.  Toss in shrimp until coated.

I tossed my shrimp in my flour mixture.  As you can see it does not need to be heavily coated.  I used tongs to transfer from my bowl to my hot oil pan.

Then using tongs, or a large serving spoon transfer shrimp from flour batter to the oil pan.  Fry a few minutes on each side, until pink.  Remove from oil and place on a paper towel.


My crispy shrimp after frying for a few minutes.
Then make your Tacos!  I used the same pan and poured out remaining oil, then heated large flour tortillas until crispy (however I always recommend using corn tortillas for a better taste).  We topped ours with goats cheese (any cheese will work) and sour cream.  Squeeze a lime over the top, and they are finished!  Enjoy this recipe and remember you can alter, add and substitute anything you feel would add to it!!

Finished tacos!  SO DELICIOUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment: